12/10/17

38 center line marked

Attached the template, set the canopy per instructions and marked the center line. I also have 1-2 mm to trim from the back end.

11/29/17

Canopy frame in place

After an almost two week complete stand still in the project, I am finally working at it again.

My wife helped me place the fuselage on a tabletop, she somehow managed to stay away from the camera. It was then easy to place the frame onto it´s guides. A tiny amount of sanding was needed to make it clear the front skin.



11/12/17

38 Canopy frame riveted

So soon we will se if it fits on the fuselage and then if the plexy fits the frame.

11/11/17

38 A productive day

Almost completed riveting the canopy frame today.

11/10/17

38 started riveting the canopy frame

The first rivets in the canopy frame are done.

11/9/17

38 almost

Starting to cleco the pieces together again with the intention to actually rivet them together.

38 Recovering from the NAS is taking forever

Sorry about the lack of updates. I am still working for about an hour every evening. Some dimpling to do then I will start riveting the canopy frame/assembly together.

11/3/17

38 caught a problem in time

Yesterday I could not get all holes to line up properly, it would not have been possible to final drill the holes in step 11 on page 38-13 without getting oval holes.

Today I looked into it a bit more carefully and found the problem. The forward part of C-01409 interfered with I think C-01408 on both sides. I trimmed the back of C-01408 about 1mm and the problem went away.

11/2/17

38 Soon to be separated again

Some final/match drilling and then all gets separated again.

11/1/17

Still working

Recovering files from the NAS, taking forever but It looks like I will be able to save a lot. It was around 4 weeks since I made the last backup. So there are not so much that needs to be rescued but finding these files in the around 7 TB of disk space is a huge task.

10/25/17

38 NAS problems

I am still working daily but I am having some problem with my NAS so pictures are a hassle at the moment.

10/23/17

38 more prepping of parts but some riveting

Very difficult to access. Some could be squeezed many had to be driven with the gun. And I could not reach with the cupped set so I had to use the back rivet die onto the manufactured head.




10/19/17

38 slow but at least steady work

Do not feel like making 2+ hour sessions at the moment so the pace has been lowered a bit during the last 10 days but as long as I am out working every day, I am not worried.





10/17/17

38 drills arrived

That was fast, drills arrived from the US in just a few days, great. Final drilled lots of holes, treaded the holes in the roll over structure. Managed to drill the holes in the window, got no cracks but a few pieces came of when I tried to drill to final size directly even after dulling the drill bit.

My solution was to drill the holes in several steps, first the already made #40 holes, then to #36, then to #33, then to #30 and finally to #27.





10/15/17

38 more prepping of parts




38 Canopy release pieces

Last night work consisted of some riveting and then mounting pieces for the canopy release. One bolt/spacer/nut took 30 minutes to get into place!





10/14/17

38 slow but something every day

Wife on a conference so less time for me in the shop. I have been working every day but just not enough done to motivate individual posts here. Tinkering with some smaller pieces while waiting for #36 and #27 drill bits, I was so sure that I had all needed sizes by now but no :(